Thursday, June 4, 2009

266 Son of a.. Miserable scale.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am watching what I eat and keeping my calories under control and still slowly gaining weight. My cycling has been a bit interrupted in the past week but I still had 2 hours Saturday 3 hours Sunday and then the sprinklers blew up again and my Daughter had a birthday so I missed 2 days of riding but I should not gain weight. I told Drew about my gains yesterday and he was very nice and said muscle is heavy and you are building muscle. If only that were true. The only muscle I am building is table muscle and it looks like I have a keg for a midsection.

Last night I did the Round Valley Race. Since I had no idea where I was going I entered with the beginners. After the first lap I just could not finish the race and wanted to do the second lap which is the same as the Sport class. Anyhow when I finished I told them to change my category and that I did the 2 laps. I am slow and I apologize to any of you that I slowed down but I think I was able to ride on the right and step out of the way fairly quickly. I do not think I hindered anyone too much. My lap times were a bit slow at 25 minutes per lap and I finished in just under an hour by my computer. I am sure I will be a bit faster next week. Erich skipped this one because he has been sick for about 10 days now. He hates going to the Doctor but he really has no choice and he is going today. He tells me he wants to do the PC Point Point race in September. He has not ridden hardly at all this year so he needs to get better and get in some miles.

5 comments:

Jennie said...

I meant to tell you at the race that you look like you had lost a bunch of weight. Great job! Although I have the luck of genetics on my side in the weight category , I did pack on about 25 pounds in college. I couldn't believe how hard it was to get it off and back to a fitness level I was happy with.

UtRider said...

I'm sure you'll continue to lose weight as you ride more. At one point in the not-so-distant past I was close to 50 pounds heavier than I am now. I convinced my wife to let me buy a road bike and the weight came off.

I started mountain biking a few years later but wonder if the steady, more consistent effort associated with riding a road bike might help more than the on or off (climb or descend) nature of mountain biking. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's easier (for me at least) to ride a road bike at a low to medium intensity for a couple of hours than it is to do the same on a mountain bike. And isn't it those lower intensities that result in the most fat being burned? Food for thought (pun definitely intended)!

If you want to go faster next week try the single speed. It seemed to help me last night. Though it will be interesting to see if the new course direction changes that at all.

alison said...

You did awesome and I was really psyched to see you there!! Racing a mtn bike is not easy for anyone, especially with the extra weight. You are a motivation to everyone!! Great job!

Blackdog said...

You are all too nice. I think Mark is right and I need to spend more time on the road bike. I may have to start riding to work again. I am just bummed that I have gained 13 lbs back. There will be some long road rides this summer which should help.

StupidBike said...

Doug. You are doing great. The best part is having you out there with us. It was always nice having you at the races, but even better to have you Ridin and racing.